Fullwidth Template

Join Our Meeting

Meetings at St Johns Church annex Lemsford Village

The Maps of Lemsford Village

Enjoy Lemsford Local History Groups selection of Historic Maps

Lemsford Local History group has in its archive many maps of the area that helps us understand how the area developed and who lived where in the village. This page is dedicated to the Maps of Lemsford village.The image on the left is from 1798 and donated by HALs CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

1855 Map Lemsford Village

Lemsford Village in 1855. It shows all the building and who lives in them based on the 1850 census. Note the scale is 3 chains to an inch.

1855 Map showing the Roebuck

‘The Roebuck’ stood on the opposite side of the road to the presentRoebuck Farm house (No 57). It was situated just down the hill from where the pair of cottages, Nos, 40 and 42, now stand and in the grounds of what is now Mill House (No 38). It is first mentioned in 1756. The 1838 Land Rgistry lists James Cheshire ( or Chester) as the tenant of several fields, a cottage and of the ‘ Roebuck Inn’ which was owned by Lord Melbourne. Circa 1860 it was being run by john Chesher until it was closed down in about 1880. The Lost Pubs of Lemsford Parish show the pubs in the Parish who are no longer here - To view Gallery Click Here

The Lemsford Local History Group, Has a large selection of historic maps to see full range Click Here

The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. We welcome correspondence from anyone who shares this interest.The group archives now include a significant number of photographs and documents, as well as records of baptisms (to 1985), marriages (to 1970), burials (to 2003) and memorial inscriptions (to 2003) from the St John's parish church registers. Records of births, marriages and deaths before the consecration of the church in 1859 will be found in the registers of Bishop's Hatfield parish. The archive also contains admission records for the village school - St. John's Church of England Junior Mixed Infants school - since it was first opened in 1872

Built and Maintained by Lemsfordonline - Part of the Colney Web Services group based in St Albans. 01727 825934