Room Template

Join Our Meeting

Meetings at St Johns Church annex Lemsford Village

Built & Maintains our Website
Read More »

Quick View of lemsford Parish - Click on Star

  • St Johns Church
  • St Johns School
  • Lemsford Mill
  • Brocket Hall
  • The Sun Inn
  • Long & Short
  • Crooked Chimney
  • Waggoners
  • Lemsford WW1
  • Lemsford Springs
  • Lemsford Village
  • Cromer Hyde
  • Stanborough
  • Handside
  • Publications

The Tully family are a special interest to one of our leading member Doreen Wright. The find out her interest Click Here to read her article on William Henry Gardiner. Here is an extract:

William was born on 6th August 1889 his mother was a domestic servant in London earning 4/7 per week. On 26th September 1889 he was boarded out by the Waifs and Strays Society to Mrs Susan Tuley aged 54 who lived along with her husband John aged 58 , their daughter Louisa and Harriet Hill (daughter by Susan’s 1st marriage) in a Clapboard House in Cromer Hyde. She already had two other Waifs Arthur Seymore and Roland Rouse. William went to st Johns Lemsford on 13/6/1894 and left 8/1/1904 to work as a Gardener at Brocket Hall

William remained with his foster parents even after the Society removed him from their books in 1903 as he was considered old enough (14years old) to take care of himself. He married Susan Tuleys’ granddaughter Mabel Hill on 4th Nov 1911, they all lived in the Clapboard Cottage in Cromer Hyde. The cottage had two double bedrooms, a large front room (used as a bedroom by Susan and John Tuley), a big living room, a narrow scullery and a dairy lean to at the back. Outside was a large washhouse with a copper and a baker’s oven. Read More.

Lemsford Local History Group have a large archive of documentation & images for all aspects of history in Lemsford Parish. For our website we require your help to update and provide memories, facts and images about all aspects of the past in Lemsford Parish. Please Contact us on

Andy Chapman LLHG

Enjoy Our Images

All photographs, images, PDFs and text used on this website are for your enjoyment. Please remember all photographs and material used on this site MAY NOT be copied, in whole or in part, or be duplicated to another computer, transmitted, published, reproduced, printed, hotlinked, etc. without the express written permission of the Lemsford Local History Group. To apply to use an image or article Contact

Census Name Age Relationship Location Occupation Birthplace
1841 George Tully 50 Lives with Eagles Lemsford Mills AG Labourer
1861 Susan Hill (Tully) 27 Daughter Cromer Hyde Straw Platter Hatfield
1871 Susan Hill (Tully) 37 Daughter Cromer Hyde Platter Hatfield
1881 John Tully 51 Head Lemsford Sunstroke Harpenden
1881 Susan Tully 47 Wife Lemsford Cromer Hyde
1881 Mary Tully 6 Daughter Lemsford Scholar Cromer Hyde
1881 Louisa Tully 3 Daughter Lemsford Scholar Colney Heath
1891 John Tully 62 Head Lemsford Pensioner Harpenden
1881 Susan Tully 55 Wife Cromer Hyde Hatfield
1881 Louisa Tully 13 Daughter Lemsford Scholar Hatfield

Lemsford Local History Group

The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. We welcome correspondence from anyone who shares this interest.The group archives now include a significant number of photographs and documents, as well as records of baptisms (to 1985), marriages (to 1970), burials (to 2003) and memorial inscriptions (to 2003) from the St John's parish church registers. Records of births, marriages and deaths before the consecration of the church in 1859 will be found in the registers of Bishop's Hatfield parish. The archive also contains admission records for the village school - St. John's Church of England Junior Mixed Infants school - since it was first opened in 1872