Welcome to Lemsford Local History Group - The Bracy family
The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. We welcome correspondence from anyone who shares this interest. Above Image Lemsford Village 1905
The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859
The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City.Image Lemsford Village 1905
The A1 motorway follows roughly the course of the "Old Great North Road" .
The river Lea, which once formed part of the boundary of the Saxon kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex runs through the parish. The A1 motorway, the main arterial road, follows roughly the course of the "Old Great North Road" from London to York.Its starts with the Old Bull (now known as 'The East') and ends at the Ayots with the Waggoners and Red Lion. Above Image The Waggoners around 1910.
Lemsford Local History Group group archives
The group archives now include a significant number of photographs and documents, as well as records of baptisms (to 1985), marriages (to 1970), burials (to 2003) and memorial inscriptions (to 2003) from the St John's parish church registers. The archive also contains admission records for the village school as well as al our research documentation and image library. Above image is of Lemsford School around 1900
Find out about Lemsford Village
Lemsford Village is on the outskirts of Welwyn Garden City and its Church is St Johns C of E and School is also St Johns, it has 2 Pubs The Sun and the Long and Short and a Mill on the River Lea which runs through the Village. Above image from 1920 and shows 6 men on a wall outside the old Long & Short.
Cromer Hyde is Hamlet in the Parish of Lemsford
Cromer Hyde is a hamlet near to the Village it has its own Pub , The Crooked Chimney (formally the Chequers) and a lane which once boasted 3 farms and now has a thriving community. Above Image is the Chequers from 1910. Now known as the Crooked Chimney
Visit Stanborough, the start of the Parish and home of the lakes.
Stanborough is an area to the south of the Village with own pub ‘The East’ formally ‘The Bull’. It is now well known for its lakes which were built in 1967. Above image Is the Bull at Stanborough in 1938, Newly built and moved from across the road
Brocket Hall - Early evidence suggests the house dates back to 1239
Early evidence suggests the house dates back to 1239. Joan De Fauconberg Married in 1393 To Thomas Brocket 1383 – 1431 (The First Brocket in Herts) The Brockets originated from Yorkshire and had No Children. The Brockets ended when Mary Brocket in 1597 marries Sir Thomas Reade (1545 – 1604). 1921 the house was bought by Sir Charles Nall Cain who bought the title Lord Brocket from Lloyd George in 1933. Above image is Brocket Hall Staff in 1924
Quick View of lemsford Parish - Click on Star
The Bracey Family- Lemsford Local History Group have a large archive of documentation & images for all aspects of history in Lemsford Parish. For our website will have every person on the 1841 t0 1911 census in the Parish recorded we require your help to update and provide memories, facts and images about these people and their lives. Please Contact us on email@example.com
Lemsford Local History Group have a large archive of documentation & images for all aspects of history in Lemsford Parish. For our website we require your help to update and provide memories, facts and images about all aspects of the past in Lemsford Parish. Please Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Andy Chapman LLHG
Enjoy Our Images
All photographs, images, PDFs and text used on this website are for your enjoyment. Please remember all photographs and material used on this site MAY NOT be copied, in whole or in part, or be duplicated to another computer, transmitted, published, reproduced, printed, hotlinked, etc. without the express written permission of the Lemsford Local History Group. To apply to use an image or article Contact Info@lemsfordhistory.co.uk
|1841||Charles Bracey||15||Servant||Symons Hyde||M. Servant|
|1851||Charles Bracey||25||Head||AG Labourer||Sandridge|
|1851||Susan Bracey||24||Wife||becomes Wren||Straw Platter||Hatfield|
|1861||James Bracey||50||Head||Agg Labourer||Hatfield|
|1861||James Bracey||24||Son||AG Labourer||Hatfield|
|1861||George Bracey||19||Son||AG Labourer||Hatfield|
|1861||Emily Bracey||17||Serv||House Servant||Hatfield|
|1871||James Bracey||Head||60||AG Labourer||Hatfield|
|1871||John Bracey||Neph||21||AG Labourer||Hatfield|
Lemsford Local History Group
The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. We welcome correspondence from anyone who shares this interest.The group archives now include a significant number of photographs and documents, as well as records of baptisms (to 1985), marriages (to 1970), burials (to 2003) and memorial inscriptions (to 2003) from the St John's parish church registers. Records of births, marriages and deaths before the consecration of the church in 1859 will be found in the registers of Bishop's Hatfield parish. The archive also contains admission records for the village school - St. John's Church of England Junior Mixed Infants school - since it was first opened in 1872